Monday, October 29, 2012

Cross of Light - Crux Gloria



Many years ago in 1988 during the middle of the night I was awakened from
a sound sleep when an overwhelming presence and light came into my room.
Immediately I was aware that it was the Lord. I remember acknowledging His
presence by saying, "Oh Lord, it’s you". The feelings that followed are difficult to summarize except to say I came in contact with the very origin of Love itself.

The Lord directed my thoughts and vision. He began to show me
something within this ray of light that had entered my room. He impressed
on me His Cross. Then He asked me to make a special cross - for He
explained, "My Cross is a Cross of Light". I knew what He wanted me to
do. I couldn't move, nor did I want to disturb the state I was in. I was
asked to draw it down. I responded, "Don't worry, Lord, I won't forget".
The request had more of a command tone, "Get up and draw it down". I
complied instantly and as I did I felt God withdraw. I sketched down the
commission and sadly, but wondrously went back to bed.

The next day in the studio I translated my drawing to steel. I knew no one
else could understand the concept on paper. I called my wife to be, Bonnie
and asked her come by as soon as she could. I said, "something wonderful
has happened".

Two years later, on the feast of Christ the King, the St. Francis de Sales
Community had their pastor consecrate "Crux Gloria". "Crux Gloria"
stands today along Route 7 bypass near Purcellville, VA. The lights that
illuminate it's interior automatically turn on every twilight and extinguish
at each sunrise.

I've made a short movie about the forging of the cross here is a link to see it on You Tube: Crux Gloria - Cross of Light

More on how this vision impacted me personally and the art I do at: www.aholyquest.com 

For inspirational gifts that bear the light: http://pinterest.com/heartandanvil/ 

2 comments:

  1. Everytime I am driving from Leesburg on State Route 7, passing through Purcellville just west of the Hwy 287 Berlin Turnpike exit, I quickly look to myour right and witness a majestic metal cross sculpture. Within the cross, the shape of Jesus appears to have been creatively cut out by scissors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everytime I am coming from Leesburg on State Route 7, passing through Purcellville just west of the Hwy 287 Berlin Turnpike exit, I quickly look to my right and witness a majestic metal cross sculpture. Within the cross, the shape of Jesus appears to have been creatively cut out by scissors.

    ReplyDelete